Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Quaker Warm & Crunchy Granola Review

I was recently given the opportunity to try out Quaker's new product, Warm & Crunchy Granola.  I, personally, am not a fan of oatmeal (it's a texture thing I guess), so it was with a fair amount of trepidation that I accepted this campaign from BzzAgent.  As per usual, my kit was sent out and received on time (a day early to be exact), and included the packets of granola in the flavor I requested (cranberry almond), 3 coupons for friends and family (which went promptly to my mother), and the standard "here is your bzzkit, enjoy and don't forget to spread the word" card.

On to the product itself.  Quaker, commonly known for their oatmeal, has decided to get in on the current granola phase people seem to be going through (myself included).  Their product, Warm & Crunchy Granola, comes in three different flavor options: Honey Almond, Cranberry Almond, and Apple Cinnamon.  I chose Cranberry Almond, because, let's face it, what's better than one "superfood"?  That's right, three superfoods in one. 
Now for my personal experience.  I've already stated that I am not personally a fan of oatmeal.  There's just something about slimy foods in my mouth and throat that doesn't sit well with me (and for some reason every oatmeal I have ever eaten has been slimy and not very appealing texturally).  So when I heard about oatmeal (granola) that is warm and CRUNCHY (aka not slimy), I decided to give it a try.  So with an open mind, I opened a packet, poured it into a bowl, and added 1/4 cup of almond milk in place of regular milk (I am lactose intolerant), and put it in the microwave for 25 seconds like the directions said.  When I took the bowl out of the microwave, I noticed that the granola was already starting to lose its crunchy look, but I put a bite in my mouth anyway.  Flavorwise, it wasn't too bad.  The granola itself didn't have much of a flavor (I'm used to it having a distinct sweetness from the honey), and there could have been more cranberry and almond in it, but still, not too bad.  What did me in was the texture.  Because granola is just baked clusters of oatmeal, add liquid and it turns to mush, which is exactly what this  product did.  Needless to say, if I am going to eat it again, it will be dry and just crunchy granola.  On the plus side, I have 2 small children who love oatmeal and granola.

So how did this product do overall?  If I were to rate it on a 10 point scale, I would say a 7 for me personally due to the flavors that I was hoping for not being all there and for the texture of the product after adding the milk.  Will I buy this product in the future?  Most likely yes, because my children love oatmeal and granola, and my 4-year-old had a bowl with me the day I tried it and loved it.  Over all, despite my experience and bias towards oatmeal, the product is not all that bad.  If you enjoy oatmeal, go for it, you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment